Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Overachievers

Happy Wednesday everyone. I don't know about you but I just realized we are half way through July! Goodness where did June go? I think I need to slow down and smell the roses more often.

 I have been in an organizing mood lately. I rearranged all the furniture in my family room. I actually organized our homeschooling supplies. I tell you it's amazing how fast our family room can get disorganized. I have one of those IKEA wall units with lots of cubbies. I have baskets in some of them. I arranged the contents of those baskets by school subject, and I feel like a new person. I can't believe how many opportunities I missed to teach my kids wonderful things this year, just because I didn't keep the family room organized. I also got rid of many things that I didn't need or were severely outdated. I figured if I have less things, I have less mess. When I have less mess, I have less stress. I can't live a simple life if I have a chaotic house.

The other thing I have been doing each day to help myself toward living a simple life, is having morning worship. It is my time alone with God. I pray and read a chapter from my bible. I ask God to help give me focus for my day. I ask for wisdom and understanding with all that I have to deal with in the next twenty four hours. It is really helping me. This fog, of stress and confusion that used to plague me is being lifted. I actually feel like I can take charge of my day and my life. It also helps me to focus on the important things. What is it that I really need to do today?

Sometimes when I look at my TO DO list I feel overwhelmed. Now I am prioritizing. I try to pick three things that absolutely need my attention that day. Then I do them. If those three things are done I am satisfied. If I have time to tackle a few more off my list, I do it. If I am too busy then I don't stress out about it because my goal has been met. It is very satisfying to know that you set out to do something and then it actually gets done.

 I  remind myself that my To Do list does not define me. Sometimes I actually put unattainable goals on that To Do list. For example these are some of the things in my present list. Paint the garage door, make six different doctor appointments and do all the laundry. Let's take paint the garage door for example. I would have to clean, prime, assemble all supplies, tape off all the areas I don't want painted. Then hope that I have the paint necessary for the task and actually do the painting part. What seems like just one thing to do is actually about ten things to do. So something of this magnitude should not even be on my daily To Do list.

My advice to all you overachievers out there is do not measure your self worth by what you have not accomplished. Instead concentrate on what you HAVE accomplished. So here is to looking at ourselves in a new light.

No comments:

Post a Comment